In 1926, a small school was constructed on the south side of Rowland. The school underwent major additions in the 1950’s and 1960’s. Southside School was originally Southside High School and served grades one through twelve. Southside School integrated in 1968-69 and served only grades four through eight. In 1980-81, Southside School merged with Ashpole Center School thus becoming Southside-Ashpole School which presently serves kindergarten through fifth grade. A former school building across the street serves as the Southside Alumni Building.
In 2017, Southside-Ashpole Elementary was identified by the State of North Carolina as an innovative school. These are schools that have been identified by the state as low-performing schools and have been approved by the State Board of Education to be operated under the Innovative School District. Innovative School Operators work under an ISD contract for five years, with performance expectations that must be met annually. At the end of the contract, the schools are transitioned back to the control and management of the local school district, unless other options are agreed upon by the local school board, the ISD Superintendent and approved by the State Board of Education.
Now we write our own story. In 2019, Southside-Ashpole…
School Name: Southside-Ashpole Elementary School
Vision: Southside-Ashpole will become a model school, recognized for the growth and achievement of both students and staff
Mission: To grow and achieve together
- We believe that all students and staff are capable of growth every year.
- We believe that learning never stops.
- We believe in continuous improvement.
- We believe in Southside-Ashpole and the communities we serve.
- We believe that everyone deserves a safe and orderly learning environment.
School Mascot: Pony
School Colors: Blue & White
- I pledge today to do my best in reading, math, and all the rest.
- I pledge today to respect my school, to be positive, and obey all rules.
- I pledge today to encourage everyone no matter their role, and to always uplift Southside-Ashpole.
- Chorus: Southside-Ashpole, Southside-Ashpole. We’re the best school we know – we’re here to learn and learn and grow. 2x’s
- Verse 1:
- P – Positivity
- O – Opportunity
- N – No Bullying
- I – Intelligent
- E – Evolving
- S – For Shot Callin!!!
- Verse 1:
- Chorus: Southside-Ashpole, Southsiide-Ashpole. We’re the best school we know – we’re here to learn and learn and grow.
- Verse 2: Southside is the best, we expect nothing less, and we shall do well on our test. United we stand Divided we fall SOUTHSIDE-ASHPOLE MAKES THE CALL!!
- Chorus: Southside-Ashpole, Southside-Ashpole. We’re the best school we know – we’re here to learn and learn and grow.
- Verse 3: We are the best so forget about the rest – we are growing while achieving and always believing in …
- Chorus: South-Side Ashpole, South-Side Ashpole. We’re the best school we know we’re here to learn and learn and grow.
Academic Booster Club: https://saes.k12isd.org/academic-booster-club/